Thursday, May 31, 2012

Talofa 2 (I thnk I erased the last one)

Talofa from beautiful, humid Apia!  We spent 5 hours this morning waiting to take part in a parade celebratin Samoan independence.  We were number 106 of the 130 groups in the parade,and didn't get to match until about 11 o'clock, after being up since 5 am.  In the end, the parade route was about 100 yards in front of dignitaries in a grandstand.  It was worth it, though, to build goodwill with our Samoan hosts.  As in our other ports, our hosts are extremely generous with food and support.  This marina, in fact, is one of the most secure I have seen anywhere.  It is constantly patrolled, and there is a 24-hour guard.  That will come in handy tonight, as most of us are going to see UB40 in concert at APia park.  We took them out sailing yesterday on Te Matau at sunset.  It was great to chat with them and take pictures.  Unfortunately, the computer I am at right now is not reading my card, so I'll have to post them later.

Samoa in celebration goes all out.  Every lightpost along the main street is decorated with coconut fronds and torch ginger.  There are flags and banners flying everywhere, and blue and red are the colors of choice.  IN addition there are many and various souvenirs of the occasion to be had: shirts, lavalavas, sunglasses, flags, etc.  There are lots of small kids on the streets trying to sell the flags, especially.  It's a very colorful scene, and today's parade ground was no exception, with everyone in their bright outfits.  It lookslike we're off to Fiji on SUnday morning after provisioning and church.  It should be another 4-5 day sail.

more later, especially pictures.  Added captions (I hope) to last blog...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine,

    Congrats on your latest arrival!...Just an update...the classroom is all cleaned out and I'm about to head out for the last time. Thank you so much for allowing me to sub for you and trusting the students with me! I really enjoyed it and hope to be doing more of it in the future. The kids enjoyed your last blog to them. We read it in class and located you using your coordinates. Promotion went well today, no glitches. I had Faye email you the list of award winners and recognized students. The highlight was Kenny winning the Service Award...I figured he deserved a nomination, and he ended up winning it! I also emailed you a link of the class singing their song in practice the day before (we know you chose the song...great choice!). Finally, there's an email with some pics, thought you might like to see those. Thanks again for all your help. Everyone was so helpful to me here. Have a great trip and stay safe! P.S. Your keys and garage access card are with Faye in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Eric - I know I left the kids in good hands with you. I hope you enjoyed your teaching time! Hope to see you around next year - would love to share pics and video with you...

    ReplyDelete